www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index www.zxrforums.co.uk
Kawasaki ZX9-R Website Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knockhill trackday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion (ZX-10R)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham
In the Grove

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Knockhill trackday Reply with quote

How did your trackday go Grunty? Did it stay dry? Picked up the 10 today. I was sweating like a rapist after about 6 or 7 miles round town it was so feckin' warm here today. It was still about 20 degrees C at teatime for Gawds sake!
Grunty-Motor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twas good. a little damp first thing, but dried quick and the afternoon was crackin'. run out of petrol by 4 and completely knackered. Brilliant. who would have thought this weather in october!

there were about 6 zx10s. first time i saw more 10's than gixers! 1/2 were 06/07s.

enjoy that beast of yours. i remember when i got mine. to begin with i was slower than on the 9. once the brain is reset, it truly is a fast machine.

make the most of this weather. you know it aint gonna last.

In the Grove

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on holiday with the family all last week so the 10 hasn't turned a wheel all week. I've only managed to do about 35 miles on it so far. If the weather OK tomorrow I'll try and sneak off when no one is looking. First impressions are that the front is so much more planted than on my 9 (Which I'm keeping by the way as a track bike. I think I'll try and graft on a 10 front end onto it over the winter! I'll need something to do!!) The back end seems very planted (but that may be to do with the tyres Dunlop Qualifiers which I believe are descent enough) which gives you confidence to get on the gas a lot earlier than on the 9. I can't always see the clocks for the top of the screen so a double bubble may have to go on. There is also a bit more weight on my wrists but not too extreme, but a long run will tell. Other than that no real gripes although the fuel light went on already! The tank must have a hole in it! And the 4000rpm rev limit for the first 500miles is going to be a ball buster!
Graham
In the Grove

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Glad you had a good day at sunny Knockhill. It's a great feeling after a trackday when the weather has been good. It's a bit of a downer for the next few days at work whan all you want to do is do it again!! You end up scanning the trackday diary's for the next fix! Truly addictive!
Grunty-Motor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first and second gen bikes are soo different. i think if you were on mine, you'd be saying its more nervous than the 9.

Knockers has just released anothe day on Thurs - booked the holiday already - fingers crossed on the weather!

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there were a few o6/07 6/10s at knockhill last time and they were all complaigning about the front brake - levers right back to the bar. it might be good enought for the road, but after 10laps, dreadful.

i thought about keeping my 9 for a track bike too. but it didn't seem right to have a faster / better handling road bike than a track bike. shouldn't it be the other way round?

In the Grove

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the first to question why I have the faster bike on the road. However, the 9 is more than fast enough for me on the track although I am probably being slowed down a bit by the front suspension into corners - it dives like an italian footballer when I'm hard on the brakes, causing the back end to waggle about. Where as on the road I'm slowed down by how far I can see down the road and round the corners. So it doesn't matter how fast the bike is it's me and the road that's the limit. Oh and another thing the 9 is worth about 2000 and is already tracked up and the 10 is brand new and I'd have to spend a shit load on it on bodywork etc and it was hard enough convincing her indoors that I really needed another bike without the additional expense of another set of track bodywork etc. My winter project for the 9 is to sort the front suspension out to stop the dive and to finally get to the bottom of the Kawasaki brakes. I have tried everything, new master cylinder, bleed them uphill, downhill, different fluid but they still come back to the bars after around 4 to 5 sessions. I'm thinking of sticking ZX10 front forks on and a set of Brembo calipers to see if that sorts the problem and it will look the business as well. The forks should be better on the track as well. Hope the weather stays the way it is for Knockhill this Thursday.

'slater
G
Betzy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Master cylinder Reply with quote

Hi there Graham,
Just started taking my 9r to the track and same prob as you with front brakes.
I just put on some SS braided lines but seem to still have the squichee feel, I was going to try new mastercylinder, then you said you changed it and still have problem? This true? Dont want to waste time and $$.

Do you know if ZX10 mastercylinders are any better?
Betzy

Graham
In the Grove

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betzy,
Not been on the site for a while so only just seen your post. I have a Brembo master cylinder fitted, a 19/20 one as discussed on other posts.I still get more and more brake lever travel as the day passes at a track day. I think the problem is that the six piston calipers are a road caliper and they just can't cope with the heat build upon a track day. The 9 is a big old barge and takes a bit of stopping so as the day goes on the fluid starts to overheat and boil, giving bubbles in the fluid. I have ended up tying the brake lever back after every session which sort of solves the problem but isn't ideal. I'm getting to the stage where the 9 will be replaced for something more track orientated for trackdays. The 9 is a blinding road bike but it's not ideal for the track.

Graham
Betzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

Hey Graham,
Thanks for the input, it's funny your reply is like reading my mind, I just came back from 3 track days in a row, my legs hurt!!! And i am coming to the same conclusion as you, she is a beast to slow down and one of the trainers said she will tire anyone out much faster than other bikes due to her mass.
Maybe time for a ZX10??!!
Later,
Betzy

Graham
In the Grove

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betzy,
Having ridden my ZX10R on the road where you are limited by the road conditions etc I think the 10 would be mental on a track compared to the 9. Lighter, faster, quicker turning etc. You would find yourself going so much quicker than on the 9. I now realise why more modern bikes, even 600's are coming past me out of and into corners. The 10 has so much grunt. I am seriously thinking of chopping my 9 in for something more track orientated. First choice I think would be a GSXR750. A lot lighter, slightly more power than the 9 and better suited to the track.

GBW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion (ZX-10R) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: