www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index www.zxrforums.co.uk
Kawasaki ZX9-R Website Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kawasaki Left hand Switch unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index -> How to Guides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yorkie
Forum Tramp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Kawasaki Left hand Switch unit Reply with quote

Some how I've not done one for this, or its disappeared. This guide will have loads of pictures because of how complex this one is. And I will be adding pictures as and when I've edited them.

I will be showing you one removed from a Z750 S as this one is the most complex, it has pass switch, hazard button, and deselecting of running lights when Indicators or Hazards are selected.
The outer design is the same as most zx9/12's, but this one will have different coloured wires, plug, yours will have less inside, so easier to do.
American one tend not to have the Pass Switch, and the UK one tend not to have the Hazard button. But mine have it all and and then some. Very Happy

Most common need to open one up, is because the indicator switch sometimes does not work. Horn or headlight not working.

While you could sort this out on the bike, its best to remove it and its short loom from the bike, strip it on a towel on a table, as there are small screws, ball bearings and springs.
Tools for the job are:-
Philips screw driver.
Small instrument screw driver.
Scotch bright.
Vaseline.
Patience and time, as its not a job to rush as its easy to break stuff.
Remember to cover everything in Vaseline to keep water and corrosion out, and make the switches smooth.

Indicator Switch.
I've removed the choke guide to give more freedom of the wires.

Be very careful when opening out the locking tabs when removing the switch plate, if it snaps off you've probably trashed it.
Note one tab is larger than the other. Also the on this one there are extra contacts for the Daytime running lights, Red/blue wires.

This one is very clean and din't need doing. If you find corrosion then clean up with scotch bright.
Then check the spring plates, coat every thing in Vaseline, this will stop further corrosion and ease switch movement.

Hazard Switch

If you have the Hazard Button and need to strip it be very careful when opening it up, if you break it, you've probably trashed it.
Note which way round the 3 dimpled switch plate goes in, or it probably won't work after refitting to the bike.
Take care if you open up the slider button as there are 3 springs and a small pin.
The extra wires on this one are for the day time running lights also, Blue & Red/blue.

Headlight Main and Dip switch
Be very careful when opening this one as its easy to snap off a plastic pivot post and also the springs and ball bearings like to leap out. This one is tricky to put back together.

Horn Button
Not much to be done on these except scrap the surfaces.

Pass Light switch
I've not shown it, as its more or less the same as the Horn button. Plus I din't take any pictures of it. Very Happy

Now rebuild, the Choke cable corner has a dimple and hole to line up so make sure there aligned up. And don't forget a small cable tie.

Thats all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index -> How to Guides All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: