www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index www.zxrforums.co.uk
Kawasaki ZX9-R Website Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A ZX-10 Diary

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion (ZX-10R)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grunty-Motor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: A ZX-10 Diary Reply with quote

A ZX-10 Diary
Rather than try and update the main site with my findings of the zx10 - I thought I would try doing it here.

Took the plunge - I paid £8500 (perth m/c's). The dealers giving me £2800 for mine (thats with 26k). So, £5700 to trade up.

Six Years ago I paid £7500 for my C1. I am sure the price of the '10 will come down by the end of the year - but couldn't wait Embarassed

I get the bike next week - oh, its BLUE Laughing

Just test drove one today. Nice bike. I got a shot of my matesGSXR and did a back to back with the big K.

GSXR def wins on low down power. Up the top end, its difficult to tell. The K handled better - althought the tyres on the GSXR were shot.

I want one real bad now. I have been offered my bike +£5700 = zx10. And thats for a 6year old C1 with 26k miles.

Very tempted - if only I could find insurance One place said I would need an alarm and immobiliser - despite the K having an imob already. Plus if it got nicked at home, while it was not in the garage, then no cover. This means you couldn't even wash the bike outside!!! Amazing

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: [b]06 May 2004[/b] Reply with quote

06 May 2004

Today was the day my beloved zx9 went away and was replaced by a zx10.

For 6years it was my pride and joy and the reason that this site started. It was (IS) a fantastic road bike and more people needed to know. The main site, the guest book and lately the Forum was the way to spread the news. I've had countless e-mails from people saying that this site was the reason they bought a zx9 AND it was the best bike they had. I was the same. Even driving down to trade the '9 in I was thinking "what am I doing" - If only I could have afforded to keep both Crying or Very sad

When I tested the 10 I did a back to back on my mates GSXR1k. When I picked up mine today, it was nothing like I remembered the test drive. Two immediate impressions

1. The weight on your wrists is sooo much more than the 9
2. The suspension is ROCK hard

How come I never noticed this before - must have been wearing the bike equivalent of 'beer goggles'

I decided to take the long trip home from Perth - Crief - Aberfeldy - Pitlochry - Glenshee - Aberdeen. A total of 170miles.

Before I even set off, I had to leave some stuff in the bike shope cause the storage area under the seat is so shite I can't even get my documents in!!!

Out on the road, as I said, this bike is small and you sit up high way out of the fairing. Town driving is a pain - open road stuff so much better as the wind lifts the weight of your wrists by about 60mph. But braking brings it all back as you struggle to stop yourself going over the top. You sit on this bike - not in it.

First big decision - how to break-in. Bollocks to the 4000rpm for 500miles. Going for 6000-rpm with short bursts up to 8k. After 500miles, I'll increase 1000rpm for every 100miles.

So, how does that motor feel up to 6000rpm - SLOW. The old '9 would piss all over it. Mines would lift the front wheel in 1st from as little as 4000 - on the 10, the front is firmly planted up to 8000. A lot of this might be down to the 10 having a 17t front sprocket and my 9 having a 15t. Maybe some miles will loosen it up, but I'll be surprised if it'll match the zx9 - let alone a GSXR in the first half of the rev range.

The motor is a little vibby to the extent that the mirrors are blurred a little. Actually, it makes little differnce cause you can't see jack out the mirrors anyway (elbows excepted).

On that note, the bike shop had a demo Helmet that had a built in rear mirror - no kidding. Just where the forehead padding is there was a little mirror. I guess it works by prisms, and there is a 'window' in the back of the helmet where you see out off. The helmet wasn't any bigger. IT worked but was quite strange. It just might take off.

20 miles into the ride I stop to find the number plate hanging off (one of my mates also said he saw a brand new 10 in Breamar with no plate - might be a theme here).

The next 150mile were a mix of dry and damp roads. The bike handled quite well but I wasn't pushing too hard. I had 6year to get used to the zx9 and only a few hours on the 10, so its maybe too soon to say too much. But again, I would have been quicker on the zx9.

Also, I was on my own, so it is difficult to judge how good the progress was. The smooth stuff was fine - the bumpy stuff was, well .... bumpy. It never flapped or shaked its head once - but with such little power on tap, maybe thats not surprising.

So, reading the above, you might think I'm regretting this. Not yet. I still have memories of that test drive of a zx10 with the full power available. I think we might have a real Jekyll and Hyde bike here.

One things for sure and that its not a practical bike. Its small, no storage
and little wind / rain protection. You could probably tell that just by looking at it, though.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racked up another 60miles today. Canít say the bike felt any better. Really hard and even the smallest of bumps has you out the seat. Struggling to gain confidence. Crying or Very sad

Steering still doesnít seem as quick as the Ď9. Maybe its due to the narrower bars or the 190 rear wheel. Either way, somethingís up.

The gear box is real stiff to the extent that my big toe has almost got a blister Crying or Very sad . While no false neutrals, there have been a few cases the lever hasnít returned (mainly after changing from 4th to 5th). The box works much better when the clutch is used for upshifts. Which brings me onto the next thing Ė the weight of the clutch Ė heavy!

Not to be put off, out again today for 100miles. First, time to adjust the suspension. 2clicks out on everything and 1 more ring showing on the front preload (donít have spanners for the rear).

It was warmer today and first time on the bike with leathers only (no overcoat). For such a small bike, this makes a fair bit of difference (improvement) to the riding position.

The first few miles out of South Deeside still doesnít inspire confidence Ė B Class bumpy road. After that, its onto some faster A / good Bís. Now things start to click a little bit better. As the speed picks up, the suspension seems to cope better and the steering seems to become lighter. Certainly I am chucking it about a fair bit more than the previous day. Brakes are good with a bit of travel on the lever - more like progressive rather than spongy.

The mid range seems to be picking up a bit too for the upper gears. A couple of runs from about 4-7k produce some good thrust. The lower gears still seem to be a bit flat. Still, as I keep saying Ė early days.

So, after 100miles non stop, I was a little stiff around the neck / shoulders. Whats more, the small screen makes for a lot of wind noise, although the turbulence doesnít seem too bad. Might have to go for a double bubble but I aint to keen on the looks. All up, 330miles in 3 days.
Rolling Eyes

140miles today - out with a zx6 for about about 3hours. Getting used to the thing now. Only discomfort was my neck (shoulders, nack, legs all fine). I think a double bubble is on its way.

The harder you ride this bike, the better it is. Suppose thats what it was made for!!! Guessing that the pace is probably up where the old '9 was.

600miles service is due in a few days - then FULL bore me thinks :twisted:

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready for my first track day at beginning of June. These are made by a german company

http://www.moko-gsg.de/ which can be bought through

http://www.performancemotorcycleparts.com

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

600miles service today. Cupar Motorcycles don't charge for this AT ALL. No oil, filter, nothing! All other bikes (cars too) only the labour has been free.

By the time I'm home its hit 700miles and I'm running up to 8-9k rpm. This is just over 2/3rds rpm. Boy, this thing is fast (but still f. hard and a right handfull on bumpy roads). Its not that quick in the lower gears due to that 17t front sprocket but in the top three gears it pulls like a train.

All in I did 200miles on it plus another 50-60miles on a zr-7 (not a bad bike). My neck was a bit sore, but appart from that, not too bad at all. Must be moulding into its shape!!!! Def. needs a double bubble though.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a long time since writing anything cause I have been away with work - 6weeks and not a bike in site. Just before I left, I had a real bad slapper incident rounding a 60mph bumpy corner. Something that the '9 was not even phased with.

So, while away I take the chance to order a steering damper. Real reluctant to fit one cause I didn't want to loose any lack of feel from the steering.

Anyway its arrived when I got back but could wait to go out on the bike so fitting will have to wait. 30mins into the ride, and another head shake powering over cats eyes. Nothing too serious, but it didn't feel comfortable at all - never sure it would sort its self out or self destruct. Now, the '9 used to shake going over bumps too - but I always KNEW it would come back.

I had also reduced the preload on the rear shock some more - spring length is sitting at 180mm. Feels better for it, but more to go I think.

With just over 900miles I figure its pretty much run in and the motor just gets stronger and stronger.

So, next is to fit the damper and remove some more rear preload.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Suspension Set-up Reply with quote

Just turned the 2000mile mark and after some continual playing with the suspension I think I got something that finally works. The single biggest help was changing the tyres to Diablo Corsas. While the D218s seemed to have enough grip, they were far from stable.

The Corsa's are ace and allow full throttle all the way over 150 - something that only a boy with bigger bollocks than me could do on the D218. Now, the zx9 would wiggle its head a little now and again while on full chat - but it was never alarming. When the 10 did the same thing, I could never quite trust it not to build up into a full slapper and would always back off.

The main problems I had with the bike were...
1. WAY too hard rear. Needed backed of a fair bit to stop getting hammered out the seat. Backing it off is a must. It then wallows a little in the faster stuff and needs the rear rebound upped to compensate.
2. Front end shake. Combination of rear too hard (preload and compression), front compression too hard and Dunlop 218's.

Anyway, here's what I ended up with - with me being 13st without gear.

FRONT
Rebound 7 clicks out of 15 (std 9/11) [PB 2clicks]
Compression 14 out of 18 (std 7/13) [PB 7clicks]
Preload 17mm (std 14mm) [8Rings????]
Static sag with rider 38mm
Tyre Pressure 36psi
Hyperpro RSC set at 6clicks out of 20 (from softest)

REAR
Rebound 1 turn out of 3 (std 1.75/4.5) [PB 1.25turns]
Compression 3.5 turns out of 5.5 (std 3/4) [PB 4turns]
Preload 185mm spring length (std 178mm) [PB 178mm]
Static sag with rider 24mm
Tyre Pressure 38psi

One thing that is worth noting is that there is a big difference in the RANGE of settings as compared to the manual. E.G front compression is supposed to have a range of 13 clicks while mine has 18clicks - hence the way it is described above.

The stuff in the square brackets [xxx] is the Performance bikes stuff.

Hope that helps....

Last edited by Grunty-Motor on Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grunty-Motor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I updated here - Only the second time out on the bike and First track day of the year (knockhill as always).

Day started of wet but by 3rd session sun was out and dried of nicely Cool Suspension all set up and Corsa's well run in. This was sooooo much nicer than the last track day at the end of the year.

Only grumble is that the lap timer on the bike is USELESS - I actually had to look down to see where it is before I could press it. So, I gave up by the 3rd session - by then I had a 1:02.11. I am certain that the last 3 sessions would have seen faster time.

Plus, I was leaving plenty in reserve in the braking area (still remembering last years off Embarassed )

Best I managed on the ZX9 was 1:01.

The zx10 is certainly fast - but still a little flighty. On the '9 I could power her over the top of the hill (wheelie at 140mph) and no issues. For some reason I could get the confidence to do it on the 10 (yet). With a neutral throttle, the bike would stick to the track and kick me out the seat a little. Also, seems to be much more effected by cross winds.

But, to put it into perspective, there were a couple of race prepped 600's that were running the same pace (or maybe a tad quicker) and there was one boy on a gixxer K4 that was in the 57's Shock

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Track day. Other than wash the bike, spin round the block (an picked up a puncture Sad ) I hadn't been on the bike since the last track day.

Rode down to Knockhill and managed to twat a pidgeon square on my left tit while doing about 85mph. The bird managed to miss all the plastics, somehow hit the kill switch (that tain a long time to figure out) and spread shit all over the place. By fuck it was sore - apart from being winded I first though I had busted ribs Exclamation

Knockhill went well - warm(ish) and no wind. Best timed lap of 1:00.6 - 2s quicker than last time. I only timed about 1/4 of the laps so i,m well happy.

Bikes sitting at 3300miles and all appears well.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion (ZX-10R) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: