www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index www.zxrforums.co.uk
Kawasaki ZX9-R Website Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken footpeg
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion (ZX-10R)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_zx9r
In the Grove

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Broken footpeg Reply with quote

Hi guys, I was hoiking through a right-hander yesterday on my '05 ZX10r when the footpeg snapped clean in half Shock . Luckily I was able to overcome the surprise of my foot slamming onto the road with most of my weight behind it and managed to keep the whole show on the road. Now, I'm a bit bigger than the average slob at 6"3 and 107kg and do ride moderately hard on the road but this is a new experience for me at 15+ years of road riding. Have you guys heard anything like this with this model? Or do I just need to go on a diet?

Cheers, Dave.
Big_Gaz
WSB

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Kin Ell, that must have been a definte pants filler. Can't think that it would be a regular occurence, have you informed Kawasaki or your dealer? They may well be interested to hear about it. Get a new one under warranty?

Big_Gaz 6'1'' 16st 4lb (fuck knows what in kilos)
Col
BSB

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary moment Dave Shock

That needs investigating, just incase it's not an isolated case.

You were lucky, the next guy might not be so !!

Col.
Dave_zx9r
In the Grove

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily it wasn't that scarey at the time - more so when I stopped to investigate and had a chance to think about what might have happened! I took it to my Kawasaki dealer yesterday and he was pretty cool about it. Kawasaki is going to replace it under warranty and to their knowledge this is a once-off. I asked the question - "What if I had crashed? Would you guys have believed me if I said that the broken footpeg was the cause of the crash and not a result of it?" .. they were very non-commital in their reply. I'm going to continue my search of other forums on the Net to try and see if anyone else has had this issue. I'll let you in on what I find. Otherwise the bike has been awesome. The original Dunlops that came with the bike were quite unsuited. I had quite a few tank slappers always when I was going through fast sweepers hard on the gass. I've since fitted Metzeler M1's and this problem has gone away entirely. The bike took a bit of getting used to i must say - my previous bike being a C1 ZX9r which I had from new. The 10r is much more brutal and less refined but a hell of a lot of fun to ride.

Cheers, Dave.
ninja998
BSB

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trawl through all the zx10 forums I can find on the net and I've not heard of this before.

A bike magazine journalist told me the other day that Kawasaki save about 35 per bike by fitting those shite Dunlop D218s.

Simoblack9R
In the Grove

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put Diablo's on my ZX10 last weekend - totally transformed the bike. You don't realise just how bad the 218's are until you change them.
nickninja
Making a go of it.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you Kawasaki know their foot pegs are made out of shite alloy. Invest in some rear sets. My peg snapped just from someone driving into my bike and knocking it over ! A chap on the ZX10r net forum crashed his ZX10r when it went down the footpeg snapped and then cut his leg open like a tin of sardines. Seen posts where ppl have said they been wheelieing and peg snapped. Not really a one off incident.
Dave_zx9r
In the Grove

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspected as much that this was not a one off incident, I guess I just wanted to believe it for my own piece of mind. I'm most concerned at the thought of the peg snapping just from normal riding (or wheelieing). I think you have to consider it pretty normal for the peg to snap off if the bike falls over or during a crash. I had a gsxr 1100 that snapped a peg off when it was knocked off its stand - although it snapped off on the mounting bracked rather than the peg itself. Thanks for the feedback.

Dave.
torquec1
Forum Tramp

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by torquec1 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninja998
BSB

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simoblack9R wrote:
Put Diablo's on my ZX10 last weekend - totally transformed the bike. You don't realise just how bad the 218's are until you change them.

Exactly what I did. Totally agree.

Dave_zx9r
In the Grove

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninja998 wrote:
Simoblack9R wrote:

Did you guys go for the Corsa's or the standard Diablos? As I'll probably go to these next. The the rear M1 is wearing quite quickly.
Simoblack9R
In the Grove

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Diablo's on mine. Fantastic tyres with loads of grip. Seem to work perfectly with the stock suspension settings. They inspire confidence and let you appreciate what a truly great bike the 10 is. I also have a Matris steering damper fitted which combined with the Diablo's have sorted out the head shakes.
Grunty-Motor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickninja wrote:
I can assure you Kawasaki know their foot pegs are made out of shite alloy. Invest in some rear sets. My peg snapped just from someone driving into my bike and knocking it over ! A chap on the ZX10r net forum crashed his ZX10r when it went down the footpeg snapped and then cut his leg open like a tin of sardines. Seen posts where ppl have said they been wheelieing and peg snapped. Not really a one off incident.

Tis true - quite well known. Get rearsets or how about some gorey anodised pegs????

Only tried Corsa's on the '10. Can't fault them.

BSB

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_zx9r wrote:
ninja998 wrote:
Simoblack9R wrote:

Did you guys go for the Corsa's or the standard Diablos? As I'll probably go to these next. The the rear M1 is wearing quite quickly.

CORSAS...

Big_Gaz
WSB

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 10 has Dunlop Qualifiers on, don't know how they compare to the 218s, but at the mo they are behaving very well, working on par with the old Diablos from my 9. Not what I expected at all. Anybody else used Qualifiers?

Big_Gaz 6'1'' 15st 12lbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zxrforums.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion (ZX-10R) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: